Saturday, April 4, 2009

BEDA: Day 4: Shitty Time with Friends

As you all will know if you read my last post (sorry for the shortness of it I didn't want to type much since Ali was looking over my shoulder the entire time) that I went to my friend's house to stay the night. I was really fun hanging out with Tiffany and Alyssa but then Ali and her little brother Zach came over and all hell broke loose...well, for me at least. I am not really sure why I am friends with all of these people because we have basically none of the same interests. I like Twilight, they think it's a joke. They like manga, I think it's crap. They like video games, I like twitter. And, in this case opposites most certainly DO NOT attract. Well, except for Alyssa, I like her just fine.

When Ali and Zach first got there it was fine, Ali and I were playing with Renaldo (Tiffany's ferret) and Zach was playing video games with Alyssa. Alyssa left with Tiffany to go take Jacob home (one of Zach's friends that couldn't stay the night), that's when it started. With only Ali, Zach, and I at Alyssa's one-bedroom appartment, and I, being the only one who like Twilight, the Twilight bashing began. I have no idea why they started it maybe because I started talking about it, I don't know. All I did was say that I liked Twilight and was showing off my merchandise...that was it. I was not trying to get them to like Twilight and I was not trying to get them to talk about it...I just wanted it out there that I liked it so maybe they wouldn't bash it...well, so much for that plan. Ali started going all off about why Twilight sucked (vampires weren't supposed to sparkle, they weren't supposed to drink animal blood...). Zach then asked me if I read manga, I said no because it doesn't catch my interest. He immediately shot back with that's why you like Twilight then, because you haven't read and thing good. I'm sorry but no, I like Twilight because it gives me hope that one day I will find my "Edward" if you will, and that not all men are total douche bags. I like Twilight because it is a good read and Stephenie has a way of making you love her characters that very few authors can achieve.
I decided at this point that I didn't want to hear them bitching anymore so I got online and started to read The Puppet Master. I guess I shouldn't have because this is when Ali came down and tried distracting me with the fanfics that she likes and the ones that she had written. I didn't care since most of them were all manga crap and it just doesn't catch my interest. But, I let her try and distract me. She made me read a short Harry Potter one that I just kind of skimmed because I really didn't want to read anything but my Twilight fanfic. When I got done with the Harry Potter fanfic she tried to get me to play some random writing game and I was like I know that's my major and all but really I just don't care or want to for that matter. I went back to twitter and posted a new tweet...I don't remember what it said but I was really upset that Ali wouldn't leave so I could bitch about her. This is when she wrote the letter...

I love (fan) fictions. I love the heart-pounding action of a fight, or the gut-wrenching sorrowof a beloved character being killed. These emotions are neither faked or imitated. The impact of decisions are not lost on one, even just as a 3rd person veiwer.
However
There comes a time when one must put aside their books for awhile and live. To go outside and stare at the sky, imagining your own stories. To put a pencil to paper and write your thoughts. To go out and talk to people.
Even the most vivid story in the world cannot prepare one for the complexities of human interactions. Body language, tone, eyes, pattern of speech...
They can be described in a story, but only through experience can one learn to interact with people
Even if it is cutting back on the reading by 15 minutes, enough to drive to the nearest wal-mart and back. Humans are naturally social creatures, and denying yourself this part of life will destroy you slowly, no matter how many realites you can read yourself into.

Ok, first issue with this: what does it matter to her if I spend all of my free time reading? It's not her life...it's not hurting her any.
Second issue: I don't have any good enough friends that I can just call up at any time of the day and say "hey let's hang out." All of the friends that I do have either don't like me enough to do that or I don't know them well enough to hang out with.
Third and final issue: the reason why I read so much is so that I can have a sense of friends. This is also the reason why I am online so much...all of my close friends are online and therefore I cannot call them up and go hang out whenever I want to...they live in different states and even different countries. This is also why I love Twilight so much, it has introduced me to so many people that I would have never met if I hadn't read the beloved series. I would have never started watching Team Twilighter, and never met Emy and Katie. I would have never met B or Kim, I would have never experienced the thrill of watching a Kaleb Nation blogtv and finding out what his newest contest would consist of. I would have never started my own Twilight collab channel and therefore never met Kurtis, Jenna, Marta, Emily, Jessie, Nora, and all the others who auditioned or even thought about auditioning. I would have also never started my Twilight Family.
Even though Ali doesn't think that people should just sit on the computer and not have a life, I believe that I ahve a very enriched life and love all of the people in it. They have gotten me through so much and for that I am etternally grateful, I will never forget my Twilight friends and I hope to one day meet every one of them.
Sorry for the lengthiness of this post, it makes up for yesterday's lame one! Love everyone, DFTBA! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment